Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from Quincy Grace UMC

Closed Church Records from Quincy Grace UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Illinois Great Rivers Conference Closed Church

Quincy Grace UMC





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections, MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:Quincy Grace UMC
Title:Closed Church Records from Quincy Grace UMC
Dates:1905-2009
Quantity:5 cubic feet
Abstract:The collection has minutes from several committees and ministries of the church, three membership books, two boxes of church newsletters and bulletins, fourteen scrapbooks, annual reports and ephemera.
Identification:4642
Language: The records are in English.

Scope and Contents

The bulk of the collection is minutes from the different organizations within the church: Admin Board; UMW; For Others Class; Semper Fidelis Class; Homebuilder's Class; Epworth League; UMM; Trustees; Pastor-Parish Relations; and Ida Kahn Class. Three membership books span 1922-2009 and one folder of membership removals and additions on various scrap paper kept as it was unclear if the permanent books had been updated. The collection also has several boxes containing the church newsletter, Grace Notes, and church bulletins spanning years 1950s to the 1970s, incomplete runs for both. There are historical scrapbooks of photographs, church memorabilia (some original, some photocopied) with most photographs unidentified or dated. There are blueprints, a church plate, and 1 oversize folder of memorabilia.


Church History

Pastor of the Vermont St. church, Rev. Parker Shields, started a Sunday school on the west side of Quincy in the early 1900s. In 1905 Grace was organized as a church and worshiped in the Merrick Hall. By 1927 they dedicated a new building at the corner of 5th and Lind. This church was remodeled in 1957 and at the same time purchased a brand new house for use as a parsonage.

The women organized the Foreign Missionary Society in 1909 and continued as the UMW until 2008. Other organizations in the church included a short lived Epworth League, Homebuilder's Class and Circle, Ida Kahn Class, Semper Fidelis Class, and a Men's Brotherhood.

In 1996 the congregation sold the building on 5th and Lind and moved to 48th and Broadway. The church basement and kitchen were remodeled a few years later. By 2008, the congregation could no longer financially sustain its ministry and closed in 2009.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Grace United Methodist Church (Quincy, Ill.)
Adams County, Ill.
Church registers and records

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

The collection is unrestricted.


Separated Material

Volumes: 296A, Admin Board Minutes (1987-1991); 296B Admin Board Minutes (1991-2006); 296C (1930-1943); 296D Admin Board Minutes (1963-1969); 296E UMW Minuted (1983-1995); 296F UMW Minutes (1970-1983); 296G Membership Book (1911-1978); 296H and 296I Baptisms, Marriages, Deaths Register (1927-1962).

There are blueprints too large for the boxes of remodeling that was done at the first church on Lind and the second church on Broadway. A decorate church plate is housed with the Artifacts Collection.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK