Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from Little York UMC

Closed Church Records from Little York UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Illinois Great Rivers Conference Closed Church

Little York UMC





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:United Methodist Church (Little York, Ill.)
Title:Closed Church Records from Little York UMC
Dates:1911-2004
Quantity:.5 linear feet
Abstract:The collection has two membership books, charge conference reports, minutes from the Admin Board and Christian Education Committee and closing documents.
Identification:4538
Language: The records are in English.

Scope and Contents

The collection has a paucity of records. There are two membership books (1911-1998); minutes from the Admin Board (1974-1997); 1991 minutes from the Christian Education Committee and letters of membership transfers and tear-off portions of baptismal certificates. It is unclear if these baptisms were entered into the membership books. There is one folder each of closing documents and charge conference reports. One folder has church remoding information; one folder has the last insurance policy and there are miscellaneous papers regarding bequests and the church library.


Church History

The Little York Methodist Society held worship services in the livery barn and feed stable until they moved to the community opera house. In March 1891 they purchased two lots to build a church and parsonage. Reverend T.A. Beal and Dr. Evans of Hedding College conducted the dedication ceremony on a Sunday on August 16, 1891. The church began with five hundred dollars in debt and raised almost seven hundred rather quickly. Little York was on the Sunbeam charge along with Fall Creek.

The Home Missionary Society was founded about 1900. The Foreign Missionary Society was organized about 1925. The Ladies' Aid Society was the first women's group organized about the same time as the building of the church. During the years of the Ladies' Aid and Missionary Societies, they had many projects, raising money by serving farm sales, breakfasts, bake sales, teas, and banquets.

The church closed in 2004 due to declining membership.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

United Methodist Church (Little York, Ill.)
Warren County, Ill.
Church records and registers

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

The collection is unrestricted.


Separated Material

Volumes: 249A Membership Book (1911-1998); 249B Membership Book (1940-1998)


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK