Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from Clifton UMC

Closed Church Records from Clifton UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Central Illinois Conference Closed Church

Clifton UMC





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections, MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:Clifton UMC
Title:Closed Church Records from Clifton UMC
Dates:1898-1985
Quantity:2 cubic feet
Abstract:The records from Clifton include four membership registers, WSCS/UMW minutes, minutes of the official/admin board, minutes of the Friendship Circle Class, and annual conference reports.
Identification:2006.03
Language: The records are in English.

Scope and Contents

The membership registers include baptisms, marriages and deaths. The minutes of the Willing Workers, WSCS/UMW have names of the members along with financial data. The minutes reveal the ministry of the women and the financial help they provided the church. There are Official Board/Admin Board minutes that document the decisions and ministry of the church. The annual conference reports have statistical and financial data. The reports run 1953-1963 with gaps in years and 1971-1983. Most of the information in the conference reports has been published in the conference's annual journal. Included in the collection is a small wooden gavel of unknown origin or use.


Church History

Brother Brunner, a local preacher from Kankakee City, began preaching in Clifton in 1860 at the home of Sarah Starkey. In 1867 a sabbath school was organized during Brother Goodspeed's administration. By 1868 membership had grown to 37 and by 1872 a church building was erected. The church was part of the Gilman Circuit of the Onarga District until 1884. At that time Ashkum and Clifton were part of the Kankakee District.

In 1916 the first church was razed to make way for a new, larger church with a basement containing a kitchen and dining areas. The congregation dedicated this building on June 17, 1917 with former pastors in attendance.

The Ladies Aid began shortly after the church was organized and contributed financially to many building projects and repair work. In 1914, younger women in the congregation organized the Willing Workers, and eventually the Ladies Aid merged with the Workers group. The society was recharteredd under the Women's Society for Christian Service in 1945, along with the Woman's Foreign Missionary Society.

At one time the church had an active Methodist Youth Fellowship but dissolved in 1981. Because of declining membership and financial obligations, the congregation voted to close the church in 1985.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

United Methodist Church (Clifton, Ill.)
Iroquois County, Ill.
Church registers and records

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

The collection is unrestricted.


Separated Material

Volumes: 196A Membership 1913-1973, with carryover from a previous register; 196B Membership Register 1939-1959; 196C Membership Register 1935-1980; 196D Membership Reigster 1974-1980. The church's historical folder contains scattered months of church newsletters, a 1976 pictorial directory and information regarding the sale of the building.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK