Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from Mayview UMC

Closed Church Records from Mayview UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Central Illinois Conference Closed Church

Mayview UMC





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections, MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:Mayview UMC
Title:Closed Church Records from Mayview UMC
Dates:1870-1982
Quantity:1 cubic feet
Abstract:The collection consists of Official Board minutes; United Methodist Men ephemera; minutes, records and programs from the Willing Workers; minutes, records and programs from the WSCS (1940-1982); charge conference reports 1960-1975); trustees minutes (1886-1911); 2 membership registers; a guestbook; and correspondence, documents and members transfers related to the closure of the church.
Identification:3611
Language: The records are in English.

Scope and Contents

There are Official Board minutes (1960-1968, 1976-1982); one folder of United Methodist Men ephemera; Willing Workers' minutes (1953-1974), documents and programs; WSCS minutes(1940-1982) and ephemera; charge conference reports (1960-1975); Trustees' minutes (1886-1911); two membership registers; a guestbook; and correspondence and documents related to the closure of the church.


Church History

The first services were held in a school house a quarter mile west where the North Mayview School stood until 1969. The society was known as the Kirpatrick Society, named for the founders John and Austin Kirkpatrick. The land for the church was purchased for $1. A church was built and used until 1875 when a new brick church was built at a cost of $4200. In 1908, the church was dedicated when the debt was paid. The church was originally on the Urbana Circuit.

The congregation celebrated its 50th anniversary in the church building with a dramatic play written by one of the members. In 1970 the congregation celebrated its centennial with a special service and meal. Due to declining membership, the members voted to closed the church January 1982.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

United Methodist Church (Mayview, Ill.)
Champaign County, Ill.
Church registers and records

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

The collection is unrestricted.


Separated Material

Volumes: 176A Membership Book (1940-1982); 176B Membership Book (1978-1982).

Filed in the church's historical folder in archives are two color photographs of six couples, and a 1908 dedication program for the new church.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK