Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from Montgomery UMC

Closed Church Records from Montgomery UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Central Illinois Conference Closed Church

Montgomery UMC





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections, MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:Montgomery UMC
Title:Closed Church Records from Montgomery UMC
Dates:1910-1979
Quantity:.25 cubic feet
Abstract:The church closed in 1979 and the records transferred to the archives included one membership book, closure docments and correspondence, and Butler-Montgomery Circuit quarterly conference minutes, Admin Board minutes, annual conference reorts and real property papers.
Identification:1733
Language: The records are in English..

Scope and Contents

There Admin Board Minutes have scant information on the ministry of the church. Members of the board and financial data can be found in the minutes. The handwritten Quarterly Conference minutes follow the quarterly conference questioning as required by the Discipline. There annual conference reports documenting statistical and financial data, with most of the information published in the conference annual journals. There is one book of Sunday School Board minutes, also used as weekly attendance record. Closure correspondence are letters from members for transfer or letters from the district superintendent to congregation about the closure. Real property papers include the property abstract and correspondence regarding sale of the church.


Church History

The first society in Butler Grove Township, near Hillsboro, met in 1836, and was one of the first Christian societies in Montgomery County. The society met in the log cabins of the osborns, Dryers and Wileys. The society was large enough to build a brick church in 1872, naming the church Montgomery after the county name. The church was actually located in the town of Irving. This building was improved

The women organized a Ladies Aid Society in 1912 and continued in 1944 as the WSCS and later as the UMW.

By 1979, the membership had decreased to a faithful twelve and they voted to close. The church was sold for repurpose as a home.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Montgomery United Mehtodist Church (Irving, Ill.)
Montogomery County, Ill.
Church registers and records

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

The collection is open for research.


Separated Material

One color photograph of the church in filed in the Photograph Collection and a ceramic church memorial plate is housed in a separate box.>


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK