Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from Westervelt Grace UMC

Closed Church Records from Westervelt Grace UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Illinois Great Rivers Conference Closed Church

Westervelt Grace UMC





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections, MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:Grace UMC (Westervelt, Ill.)
Title:Closed Church Records from Westervelt Grace UMC
Dates:1914-2008
Quantity:1 cubic feet
Abstract:The church closed in 2008 and the transferred records have one membership book, minutes from the WSCS and WMS, quarterly conference minutes and reports, Admin Council minutes, and a few photographs.
Identification:4626
Language: The records are in English.

Scope and Contents

The bulk of the collection is annual conference reports; most of the information in the reports are published in the conference's annual journals. There are minutes of two Sunday school classes (1964-1995, 1962-1976), WSWS minutes (1947-1957), WMS minutes (1938-1946); Admin Council minutes (1964-1971); annual conference reports (1914-1928, 1971-1998); and one membership book. The membership book has newspaper clippings glued onto the inside front cover and several pages in the front. A more current membership book may be with Wesley Chapel or Fourth Street UMC, both in Shelbyville. There is one year of Parsonage Trustees minutes and minutes from the Shelby County Ministerial Association.


Church History

The members of Ridge Evangelical Church organized Grace in 1904 by sending their pastor, Rev. Knapp, to form the first class. Shortly afterwards, the Middlesworth family donated land to build a church, which was built and dedicated by 1905. Rev. J. W. Fager was the first appointed minister. A parsonage was added in 1910. A tornado destroyed the church in 1917, which was soon rebuilt and dedicated in 1918.

In 1943, Ridge Church closed and three years later the Evangelical Church merged with the United Brethren Church and Westervelt's name was changed to Grace EUBC. In 1968, the next merger with the Methodist Church, Westervelt became a UMC.

There is no information available for the year of organization of the Women's Missionary Society.

The last worship service was June 29, 2008 and in 2011 the building was authorized to be sold.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Grace United Methodist Church (Westervelt, Ill.)
Shelby County, Ill.
Church registers and records

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

The collection is unrestricted, open for research.


Separated Material

Volume: Membership Book (1930-1987); a photograph and postcard of the church are filed in the Photograph and Postcard Collection.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK