Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from Shelbyville Clarksburg UMC

Closed Church Records from Shelbyville Clarksburg UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Illinois Great Rivers Conference Closed Church

Shelbyville Clarksburg UMC





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections, MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:Clarksburg UMC
Title:Closed Church Records from Clarksburg UMC (Shelbyville, Ill.)
Dates:1901-2007
Quantity:2 cubic feet
Abstract:The church closed in 2007 and the transferred records consist of three membership registers, minutes from the Official Board, Ladies Aid, WSCS/UMW, Clarksburg/Pleasant Hill Circuit, Youth Fellowship and Pioneers Class. There are also copies of the annual conference reports, two photo albums and documents relating to the real property.
Identification:4627
Language: The records are in English.

Scope and Contents

The Clarksburg and Pleasant Hill Circuit minutes reveal that the circuits had Clarksburg, Mt. Zion, Pleasant Hill, Rockford,and Fancher. The Official Board minutes (1960-2000) reveal the activities and ministry of the church. There are Ladies Aid minutes (1921-1965, incomplete), and WSCS/UMW minutes (1968-1990). The minutes from the Youth Fellowship (1955-1960, 1966-168) have very little details of their ministry. There are minutes from the Pioneer Class (1967-1979). The two photo albums have mostly unidentified photos. The annual conference reports have the majority of the data published in the conference yearly journals.


Church History

The United Brethren in Christ first came to the Clarksburg Township area of Shelby County in the 1860s. These class members helped the Methodists build the Mt. Zion church in 1866 and the two congregations alternated worshiping in the building. In 1898 a revival was held by a UBC preacher and the members received eventually became the Clarksburg church, conducting services in the Bethel School House. There are two folders of scattered issues of the church newsletter.

The congregation built their own building in 1900 and dedicated it in 1902. In a few years the trustees bought additional land next to the church for a parsonage, which was completed in 1905. Additions were made in 1953 and 1962.

The UMW started out as the Parish Aid in 1901, reorganized in 1921 as the Ladies Aid. In 1968 the group was renamed as WSCS with the merger of the EUBC and MC and again renamed in 1970 to the UMW. They have financially supported the church through chicken dinners, ice cream socials, and bazaars and supported many mission projects through the years.

The Clarksburg Circuit at one time included Pleasant Hill and Rockford in the Lower Wabash Conference. Pleasant Hill burned in 1967, not rebuilt and Rockford closed in 1925. In 1946, the church became part of the EUBC and in 1968 it became UMC.

Due to declining membership in Clarksburg and Moulton churches, they merged in November 2007 to become Fourth Street UMC.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Clarksburg United Methodist Church (Shelbyville, Ill.)
Shelby County, Ill.
Church registers and records

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

The collection is unrestricted.


Separated Material

Volumes: 101A Clarksburg Circuit Quarterly Conference Minutes (1901-1953); 101B Pleasant Hill Membership Register (1952-1965); 253A Clarksburg Membership Book (1932-2002); 254B Membership Book (1984-2003).


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK