Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from Lexington Evangelical UMC

Closed Church Records from Lexington Evangelical UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Central Illinois Conference Closed Church

Lexington Evangelical UMC





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections, MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:Lexington Evangelical UMC
Title:Closed Church Records from Lexington Evangelical UMC
Dates:1872-1993
Quantity:1.5 cubic feet
Abstract:The church closed in 1993 and the transferred records include annual conference reports, membership/baptismal registers; closure documents; and minutes from several organizations or boards. There is one photograph, and three guest books.
Identification:4527
Language: The records are in English..

Scope and Contents

There are five membership registers that include baptisms and marriages; minutes from Admin Board, Otterbein Guild, Christian Endeavor, WSCS and Lexington Circuit. There are several folders of annual conference reports, with most of the information published in the conference's annual journals. One photograph is a group photo of the members outside their church. There are three guest books; and one WMA scrapbook from a previous accession.


Church History

Thought to be the first UBC organized in the state of Illinois, in 1841, the church began from a revival held by Rev. Cook, a missionary from Indiana. The first class was organized in 1834. When the charter was adopted, the membership of the church was 41. The first church building came a year later, on land and materials donated by Rev. and Mrs. Cornell Flesher. It was a frame structure, constructed near the log cabin where the first class meeting was held. The congregation was placed in the Mackinaw Circuit, with a name change to Lexington in 1854.

In 1855, the church building was sold and a new one constructed on the east end of the same lot. The building moved several times over the next 40 years with additional remodelings. In 1899 a parsonage was built on the lot.

In 1968 with the merger of the Methodist Church and Evangelical United Brethren, the church's name changed from Lexington EUB to Lexington Evangelical UMC. Due to declining membership and that there were two Methodist churches in Lexington, this church closed in December 1993. Lexington First still continues.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Evangelical United Methodist Church (Lexington, Ill.)
McLean County, Ill.
Church registers and records

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

The collection is unrestricted.


Separated Material

Volumes: 142A Lexington Quarterly Conference Minutes (1946-1968); 142B Membership Register (1982); 142C Membership Register 1911-1960; 142D Membership Record (1963-1988); 142E Membership Record (1988-1993); 89 Women's Missionary Association scrapbook.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK