Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from Decatur St. Paul's UMC

Closed Church Records from Decatur St. Paul's UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Illinois Great Rivers Conference Closed Church

Decatur St. Paul's UMC





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections, MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:Decatur St. Paul's UMC
Title:Closed Church Records from Decatur St. Paul's UMC
Dates:1914-2002
Quantity:3 cubic feet
Abstract:The collection has minutes from the Admin Board, women's organizations, Council of Ministries, Married Couples Class, Board of Education, and Building Fund Committee. There are real property documents, closure documents and ephemera from the women's groups. The collection has ten membership books, and separate lists of funerals held at the church, membership profiles and lists.
Identification:2013.04
Language: The records are in English.

Scope and Contents

Membership books have baptisms, prepartory membership and marriages included as well as membership information. There are three books devoted just to removals of membership and one book devoted to a record of baptisms, marriages and deaths. The minutes from the women's organizations (Ladies Aid, WSCS, WSG, UMW) provide members names and activities of their ministries. The real property documents include abstracts, deed and church history memorabilia. There are a few years of minutes from the Board of Education, Building Fund Committee and Married Couples Class.


Church History

Decatur district superintendent, Rev. Van Cleve, requested Rev. Joseph Brown to start a congregation on the east side of Decatur. In 1913 he located to East William Street and made door-to-door visitations to encourage people to join the church, worshiping in a small house on East Prairie. The few members purchased a lot to build a small church building not far from the house they where worshiped.

In 1915 the small church was completed and the congregation moved in but by 1921 a new church was built a few doors down with a parsonage across the street. The church suffered financially during the depression but by 1946 was debt free.

The Ladies Society began in 1921 and supported the church financially with chicken dinners and a tent at the county fairs. Within the society they had several circles, a foreign missionary group. A Young Women's Missionary Society began sometime before 1945 that became the Wesleyan Service Guild. All these groups merged to form the WSCS, renamed to UMW in 1968.

During the late 1990s efforts were made to merge three Decatur Methodist congregations into one but without success. St. Paul's then closed in 2002.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

St. Paul's United Methodist Church (Decatur, Ill.)
Macon County, Ill.
Church registers and records

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

The collection is unrestricted.


Separated Material

Volumes: 307A Membership Register (1913-1920); 307B Membership Record (1939-1956); 307C Membership Register (1966-1985); 307D Baptisms, Marriages, Deaths (1923-1951); 307E Baptisms, Marriages, Preparatory Membership (1934-2001); 307F Name Membership Register (1944-1997); 307G Membership Removals A-G; 307H Membership Removals H-O; 307I Membership Removals P-Z; 307J Membership (1913-2002).

There are photographs of the church in the Photograph Collection. The church's folder in the archives has several years of pictorial directories, and several years of church bulletins.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK