Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from Golden UMC

Closed Church Records from Golden UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Central Illinois Conference Closed Church

Golden UMC





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections, MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:Golden UMC
Title:Closed Church Records from Golden UMC
Dates:1893-1994
Quantity:1 cubic feet
Abstract:The church closed in 1994 and transferred membership books, Official Board minutes, records of the Ladies Aid, quarterly conference minutes and records from the Sunday School Board.
Identification:2012.12
Language: The records are in English.

Scope and Contents

The transferred records have minutes of the Official/Admin Board (1992-1994); Ladies Aid Society record (1893-1921); four membership books (1893-1968); minutes of the MYF (1963-1965); quarterly conference minutes (1896-1900, 1909-1912); and minutes of the Sunday School Board.


Church History

The town of Golden was originally Keouk Junction before 1873 when it was renamed Golden. The Methodists of Golden had formed a congregation some years before renaming of the town, worshiping in Simpson's Chapel. It was renamed in 1873 to Golden MEC with the town's name change. The congregation had an active Epworth League and Ladies Aid Society in its early years. The Ladies Aid organized in 1893 specifically to support the church. They continued as the WSCS and UMW for many decades.

Golden was part of the Augusta Larger Parish which had seven churches in the 1980s. Golden closed in January 1995.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

United Methodist Church (Golden, Ill.)
Adams County, Ill.
Church registers and records

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

The collection is unrestricted.


Separated Material

Volumes: 303A Membership Book (1893-1914); 303B Membership Book (1913-1946); 303C Membership Book (1935-1952); 303D Membership Book (1952-1968); 303E Ladies Aid Minutes (1893-1898); 303F Ladies Aid Minutes (1905-1907); 303G Ladies Aid Minutes (1908-1911); 303H Ladies Aid Minutes (1911-1915); 303I Ladies Aid Minutes (1915-1917).

Additionally, there are two photographs, and three slides of the church and and parsonage in the Photograph and Slide Collection.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK